The Planning and Zoning department approves building permits, provides for building inspections, and works in conjunction with Johnson County to help new developments comply with local building codes.
- Evaluate and recommend periodic revisions to Mission's Municipal Code, Comprehensive Plan, and Design Guidelines.
- Manage neighborhood development and redevelopment activities.
- Guide and manage zoning applications, special use permits, sign permits, and other land use applications.
- Guide and manage plan reviews, design guideline reviews, and other development activities.
- Manage other current and long-term planning activities shaping the future of Mission
- The city's Comprehensive Plan outlines the city's development goals and aspirations, and serves as a guide for developing Mission as a vibrant and evolving community.
- The Design Guidelines for the Johnson Drive Corridor provide a specific vision for the Mission's downtown business district and surrounding area.
- The West Gateway Form Based Code provides a block-by-block vision as well as design guidelines for the development of Mission's West Gateway Sector.
- The city's Municipal Code outlines the legal requirements and procedures that govern development and land use within the city.
Community Development Applications and Permits Helpful Resources and Links